One of the Washington Section’s core support mechanisms is to assist its groups (chapters, student branches, etc.) with financial matters. The Section’s first priority is for its groups to be successful (where success means holding lots of high-quality technical meetings each year), and while it’s not the Section’s role to organize technical meetings for the groups, we support our groups and their meetings by providing funding for those meetings. We can also provide funding for other activities, such as workshops, travel to relevant meetings, conference organization, science fair awards, furthering STEM education, and so on and so forth. (In general, a group must be holding technical meetings before it will receive additional funding for other activities.)
Basically any activity that supports the IEEE mission & vision or components of the IEEE strategic plan is a candidate for receiving funding. You are paying members of IEEE, so you don’t have to expend your own financial resources to be involved – just your time, expertise, and desire to promote our fields and organization.
The ground rules for expenses and reimbursement are summarized here:
- The expense must be a legitimate expense as defined above.
- The expense has been approved by the Section either by an approved motion or an approved budgeted line item. These items will be recorded in the meeting minutes for future reference.
- Requests for funding of items not in the approved budget shall be submitted to the ExCom for consideration at least one week prior to a decision being made. The slide template below shall be completed and included in the funding request submission.
- Approval of off-budget items will generally take place in the Section’s monthly AdCom meetings, but can occur via deliberation and voting via email or other electronic means.
- Motions and their results made outside of the monthly AdCom meetings shall be discussed at the next AdCom meeting and included in its minutes.
- There are two ways to access funds:
- If a chapter has a budgeted amount and they have a concentration bank account the funds can be transferred to them on request.
- If not, receipts and an expense report form should be submitted for reimbursement.
- Reimbursement can be obtained by submitting a request with appropriate documentation to the Section treasurer via email or in person at a Section meeting.
- Expenses must be submitted within 60 days of the purchase or event, and will be reimbursed within 30 days of the Section treasurer receiving the receipts and/or other appropriate documentation.